Calcium Propionate – Animal Feed Supplements
Calcium propanoate or calcium propionate has the formula Ca(C2H5COO)2. It is the calcium salt of propanoic acid.As a food additive, it is listed as E number 282 in the Codex Alimentarius. Calcium propanoate is used as a preservative in a wide variety of products, including but not limited to: bread, other baked goods, processed meat, whey, and other dairy products.
* Higher milk yield (peak milk and/or milk persistency).
* Increase in milk components (protein and/or fats).
* Greater dry matter intake.
* Increase calcium concentration & prevents acture hypocalcemia.
* Stimulates rumen microbial synthesis of protein and/or volatile fatty (VFA) production results in improving the animal appetite.
* Stabilize rumen environment and pH.
* Improve growth (gain and feed efficiency).
* Reduce heat stress effects.
* Increase digestion in the digestive tract.
* Improve health (such as less ketosis, reduce acidosis, or improve immune response.
* It acts as a useful aid in preventing milk fever in cows.
POULTRY FEED & LIVE STOCK MANAGEMENT
Calcium Propionate acts as a mold inhibitor, extend the shelf life of feed, helps inhibits aflatoxin production, helps in preventing second fermentation in silage, helps in improving deteriorated feed quality.
* For poultry feed supplementation, the recommended doses of Calcium Propionate is from 2.0 – 8.0 gm/kg diet.
* The amount of calcium Propionate used in livestock depends on the moisture content of the material being protected. Typical dosages range from 1.0 – 3.0 kg/ton of feed.